Tips for fire safety inside your home
While fire-resistant materials help protect your home from damage, there are several ways you can protect yourself and your family in the event of a fire. We covered a few ways you can protect the exterior of your home, but what about the interior? At Koalaty Siding Repair, we care about your safety — no matter where the fire starts.
Here are some fire safety tips that we recommend:
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home. Make sure that each bedroom and living area has a smoke alarm installed.
- Test your smoke alarms regularly. The best practice is to check them once a month. If they don’t work, change the batteries right away. Replace smoke alarms every ten years.
- Create a fire escape plan and practice once every six months. Your plan should provide at least two possible exits, remind family members to stay low to avoid smoke inhalation, establish a meetup point, and be achievable in less than two minutes. It’s a good idea to time your fire escape practices to ensure everyone can get out of the house in less than two minutes.
- In the event of a fire, get out of your home, stay out, and call 911. Don’t go back for people, pets, or belongings.
- Keep flammable objects at least three feet away from heating elements, such as the stove or a fireplace.
Extinguish or turn off heating elements when you leave the room or your home for an extended time. This includes space heaters, candles, the fireplace, the stove, and the oven.
- Avoid smoking in or around your home, but especially in bed.
- Teach your children not to play with fire, matches, or lighters. Keep these items out of reach of children.
In the event of a fire, don’t open a door if it is warm or hot.
- If your exit is blocked during a fire, open a window and signal for help. You might also consider installing fire escape ladders outside of upstairs windows.
- Consider having a fire extinguisher in each room of your house and learn how to use it. If you can put the fire out right away, you can avoid unnecessary damage.
The Koalaty experience
Educate: We educate you on the pros and cons of all the options to help you decide on the best siding solution for your home.
Evaluate: We thoroughly inspect your home’s exterior to determine what needs to be done and then provide the best solutions for you.
Inspire: The goal of our work is to inspire homeowners and make them fall in love with their home all over again.