Frequently Asked Questions: Best Siding for Colorado Homes
As Colorado residents, we get to enjoy 300+ days of sunshine annually, but each year we also endure some extreme weather that can lead to damage to your home. If you’re looking into siding replacement because of significant damage to your current siding in Colorado or because it’s reached the end of its life, it’s important to consider a few factors when choosing a new material for your siding installation. Finding the right siding contractor, understanding the amount of maintenance required, your budget, and the different benefits that each siding material offers should all be researched before making your decision on the best siding for your Colorado home.
If you’re struggling with the available types of siding for Colorado homes, our team of experts at Koalaty Home Services can help you make the best decision for you and your home.
Pros & Cons of Vinyl Siding in Colorado
Vinyl siding is an affordable and easy-to-install siding option that makes it a popular choice amongst many homeowners. That said, it’s not the sturdiest material and may lower the value of your home. Learn more about the benefits and drawbacks of vinyl siding installation.
- Vinyl siding does not need to be painted.
- Vinyl siding is one of the most affordable material options.
- Vinyl siding is low maintenance.
- Improper installation of vinyl siding can cause serious damage.
- Vinyl siding installation can cause maintenance issues like warping from heat, fading from sun exposure, water damage from pressure washing, and side planks splitting from expanding and contracting of the vinyl due to temperature changes.
- If your home has historical value, vinyl siding will lower its resale value.
- Vinyl siding doesn’t breathe and can trap moisture underneath, causing structural damage.
- Vinyl siding is not eco-friendly because manufacturing produces greenhouse gasses, nor can it be recycled.
Vinyl siding is a great option if you have a limited budget, are looking for minimal maintenance, live in a newer home, and are willing to hire a professional team to install it correctly. Contact Koalaty Home Services for more information about our siding installation process.
Pros & Cons of Wood Siding in Colorado
Similar to vinyl siding, wood siding offers a variety of pros and cons to consider before purchasing. While it’s a beautiful material that’s easily customizable, it also requires significantly more maintenance in order to ensure the longevity of the material. It’s important to determine whether wood siding is something you want to invest your time and money in before buying.
- Wood siding can be stained or painted for endless possibilities.
- Wood siding is eco-friendly, biodegradable, and a renewable resource.
- If well maintained, wood siding is a durable material that will last for decades.
- There are a variety of tree species to choose wood from, which gives you price options.
- Wood siding increases the value of your home because it’s considered a high-end material.
- Wood siding can be manufactured in a variety of styles, such as lap, shingle, shake, tongue and groove, board and batten, and bevel.
- Upkeep on wood siding is more expensive and time-intensive than other materials. Stain needs to be reapplied every two or three years, while paint needs to be reapplied every four or five years.
- Wood siding can attract certain pests like termites. You’ll need to schedule annual inspections with a pest control company to prevent damage.
- Wood siding is more expensive than other siding options.
- If wood siding is damaged, it needs to be replaced immediately to prevent further moisture damage to your home.
- Wood siding has a low fire resistance unless the wood receives a fire-resistance treatment during manufacturing.
- Wood siding needs to be cleaned annually with a soft-bristled brush to prevent the buildup of dirt, debris, and mildew. Do NOT use a power washer on wood siding.
Wood siding is a significant investment of time and money into your home. If you’re willing to make this investment, wood siding offers a variety of wood species, siding styles, and finishes that not only customize the look of your home but also increase its value. Contact Koalaty Home Services to learn more about our wood siding options.
Pros & Cons of Aluminum Siding in Colorado
Aluminum is another great material if you’re considering a siding replacement or are looking into a new siding installation. Aluminum siding is a great option for those on a budget, but it can be prone to minor damage such as dings or dents. It’s also important to evaluate the time period of your home and how metal siding can affect its appearance and value.
- Aluminum siding is cost-effective because it can be made with recycled materials.
- Aluminum siding is eco-friendly not only because it’s made from recycled materials, but also because it can be recycled again.
- Aluminum siding is energy-efficient because it helps insulate your home during both hotter and colder months.
- As a type of metal, aluminum siding is incredibly durable. It’s also sealed with a protective top layer that prevents erosion.
- Aluminum siding is a great option if you’re looking for a low-maintenance material. It doesn’t rust, is moisture-resistant, and only needs to be rinsed off a few times per year.
- Aluminum siding can be a noisy material. During rainstorms, high winds, or hail, you’ll hear pangs against the siding from the impact of a storm.
- Temperature changes can also cause aluminum to make panging sounds as it expands and contracts.
- While aluminum siding is durable, it’s a soft metal that is susceptible to dents, dings, and scratches.
- The protective coating on aluminum siding will age, weather, and fade over time. This can cause the aluminum siding to look worn and dated.
- Aluminum siding looks best on certain period-style homes, such as modern, mid-century modern, and international. Replacing the siding on a traditional-style home with aluminum siding can actually decrease its value.
Aluminum siding is a great option for homeowners who are looking for an affordable, eco-friendly siding option, but should only be considered on certain styles of homes and in climates where the weather won’t damage the siding. Contact Koalaty Home Services if you’re interested in our aluminum siding options.
The Koalaty experience
Finding the best siding for Colorado homes and installing you preferred option is easy with our team. We’ll give you the Koalaty Experience so you get the best solution for your home. First, we educate you on the main types of siding in Colorado. Next, our experts evaluate your siding with a thorough inspection. Finally, we will inspire you to fully appreciate your home and its new siding.
Contact Koalaty Home Services for a free estimate on siding in Colorado.